Experienced Web Developer
At HeyOrca, we are building a real time sandbox for marketing agencies to get their content reviewed and approved by their clients. We believe that the best agencies are the ones that involve their clients at critical junctures of the content creation process. HeyOrca exists to help these agencies, by providing the best agency-client collaboration experience.
HeyOrca is a growing software that integrates with social networks and numerous third party APIs. Some of the challenges we are facing include: gradually delivering complex features in short sprints and iterating over them, retiring or replacing features that cause code and business debt, making our codebase more maintainable, automating processes where applicable, and continuously increasing the overall quality of the HeyOrca application.
This is where you come in - be part of HeyOrca's growing family and create a great software for great users. We are looking to expand our technical team with two web developers who excel at either back-end or front-end development.
As a HeyOrca team member, you will be adding and receiving value vs. just being another cog in the machine. Our goal is to build a great team, and with that, build great software.
Developers should add value not just by coding, but by changing the way we work. Every day, we identify improvements, optimize part of the CI process, and teach each other something new. That's how we improve not just as individuals, but as a team. Developers receive different values from HeyOrca, for some it's the knowledge, for others the opportunity to contribute to the architecture of a young software, or perhaps the freedom to build your career rather than fitting into a role that's confined by its short list of responsibilities.
A general day at HeyOrca
- Begins with a team stretch or quick activity
- Working on the story/task/bug you prefer to work on
- Reviewing code and posting GIFs to express your feelings for someone's pull request http://gph.is/19z3Hym
- Having coffee/tea/lunch with the team
- Meeting with non-technical team members to discuss design, bugs, roadmap, etc.
- Communicating with our awesome customers who might have discovered bugs
- Running and reviewing results of automated testing
- Communicating major code changes, architecture decisions, and challenges you are facing with the team.
Most of our tasks are defined in a way to be finished by one developer, but expect lots of help from your peers. This reduces overhead and who likes merge conflicts anyways (this is how we merge code: http://gph.is/1Vp16TL). All members contribute in some way to most aspects of the software from ideation to maintenance and support; this helps us fully appreciate our role and gets us exploring about areas outside of our expertise.
We are interested in hiring people who are strong at either back-end or front-end web development, but we still require you to have functional knowledge of the other "-end".
As a qualified applicant, you
- Have at least 2 years of work experience as a web developer in building and maintaining real web applications over MVC frameworks or with a thin server thick client approach
- Have a good understanding of how web applications generally work and how different machines and networks interact with each other to build up the WWW
- Have a functional knowledge of the linux operating system. We don't need you edit the kernel, but you should know how to set up your dev environment in a linux VM
- Love what you do.
- Have a computer science degree or equivalent.
- Live in Newfoundland or are open to moving to St. John's, NL.
We're not too fussy about the language or the library you have experience with, a good developer should be able to learn new ones easily; but here are some of the frameworks we use and knowing them is a plus: Laravel, Doctrine, React.JS, Redux.
Here's some facts about HeyOrca that we think you might like:
- We're a team of 17 from 7 different countries and are based in the oldest city in North America.
- We just moved to a large office with open concept design, lots of fun, beer, video games, and music. More ideas are welcome!
- We have a deep love for learning and personal improvement, so we help pay for your reading material, courses, or conference tickets.
- If you like having fun, our team retreats, dinners, and parties are unforgettable to say the least.
- Backed by some of the best VCs in Atlantic Canada, we keep improving as a team for a long and unforgettable future.
It's not going to be easy - but you will have more fun than you have ever had.
Some quotes that we live by:
"Make Something People Want"
"If you want to go far, bring others along the journey"
"Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground"