Photographer / Videographer
- Do you have the creative eyes that find the beauty in the everyday life?
- Can you capture the feeling and beauty of a moment in a picture?
- Are you skilled at editing photos or videos, or are you willing to develop this skill?
- Are you interested in collaborating with passionate and skilled volunteers to achieve a common cause?
If this sounds like you, then we need you to join our team as a volunteer photographer and/or videographer.
What you'll do
What are your goals?
As a volunteer photographer and/or videographer, you'll capture the magical moments when FGT is in action. Your lens will tell the story about how FGT empowers our community and help to preserve the environment. Your work will be shown to the world through our website, social media, newsletter, and in print.
What you'll do?
- Capture the social impact of FGT on our community and our environment by photographing or recording our daily work, our action in the community, FGT events, our volunteers, employees, and interviewees.
- Capture events and stories to create compelling imagery for press releases, website and marketing and publicity events
- Collaborate with volunteer graphic designers and our Marketing team to help develop and create imagery that aligns with a cohesive and clear marketing strategy & brand development
- Creative editing of raw images / videos and upload photos / videos online
- Have the opportunity to share your knowledge and expertise with our volunteers and the community, gaining team building experience in the process
- You are not alone and your individual voice will have an impact! You will work together as a team with people who have skillsets that compliment yours, so you will always be supported
What will your contribution lead to?
- -Your work will help FGT to grow, reach out to more people in need, and make tremendous social impact. FGT is in a significant growth phase, thus we need to document and present our work and achievement to our audience and future collaborators. By working together with other volunteers, you will develop "visual messages", which allow us to reach out to more people to increase e-waste recycling and sustain our growth. With your contribution, we will be able to give the technology back to more people that are in need and provide more opportunities for the marginalized communities.
- Volunteers keep Free Geek operating and we need an energized team with caring and passionate leaders, like you! You'll be creating and coordinating the teams that act as the lifeblood of the organization. You'll work as part of our marketing team so you'll always feel supported.
How much work?
Minimum commitment of 6 months - must be able to commit to 6 months
Total of 10 - 14 hours per month
- 2 hour meetings every other weekend (on-site)
- 6 - 10 hours outside of meetings per month (Schedule flexibility and freedom to volunteer from home)
A little bit about us
Free Geek Toronto (FGT) is a non-profit social enterprise in the heart of West Queen West helping to bridge the digital divide. We accept donations of electronic waste, refurbish computers, and re-sell them at accessible prices.
Our vision is to make our city a place where e-waste is disposed of responsibly, safely and ethically, and where everyone has access to computers and the Internet.
Our mission is to promote social and economic justice by:
- Reducing the environmental impact of electronic waste through reuse and recycling
- Increasing access to computing and communications technologies
- Promoting the use of Free and Open Source Software
- Providing education, training, and job skills.
Our current funding streams are a mix of revenue from the sale of refurbished electronics (mostly laptops) and ethical recycling, and several single and multi-year grants. There remains untapped potential to grow our revenue significantly in the future.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
WHY JOIN OUR TEAM?
To make an impact, locally and globally
- Conserve the environment and empower people in your community
- Refurbish e-waste - Give technology a second life in the hands of those who need it
Enhance your career path
- You can build your portfolio
- By working in our marketing team, you can increase your marketing knowledge, especially in the non-profit sector, and experience the marketing content creation
- FGT is in a significant growth phase and can offer volunteers progressively more responsible roles with emphasis on roles related to volunteer personal or professional development goals
- Potential to lead and develop new initiatives at FGT including developing and leading training sessions for peers. You will be coached on how to lead and develop training sessions
- Continuous learning and professional development, cross-training opportunities, and skill development opportunities within and outside of your field
Expand your horizon and networks
- Make connections to passionate volunteers with different background at FGT
- Represent FGT at events to meet inspiring people & companies
- Gain different skills and perspectives from the people that you are volunteering with
Recognition and incentives
- At FGT, your contribution will be recognized! Depending on your contribution, we can provide reference letters, website recognition, free event tickets, and many more!